Friday, March 14, 2014

Raintree

Coop's elementary school teacher Mr. Joe had a sign-up sheet for parents to come sit in the classroom and observe for an hour.  When I walked in, Barrett, a third-year student, welcomed me and said "ma'am, would you like some tea?"  I said yes, and he brought me a tray of ten tea packets to choose from.  He took the one I selected, microwaved some water, and brought me tea and a slice of banana bread.
Barrett checked back in on me a couple of times.  "Are you enjoying the tea, ma'am?"  Oh yes, Barrett.  Thank you.

(Apparently, Coop told Mr. Joe that I only drink Diet Coke, but Mr. Joe said he wasn't going to buy pop just for one person.)

With my tea and banana bread, I pulled up a chair and sat near Coop's work space.  He used this board (with small beads) to do a math problem:  36 divided by 9 times 3.

Mr. Joe gathered a group of third-year students and gave them a group lesson on parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective, adverb).

And then Coop got out the "checkerboard" to do big multiplication problems.  Something like 3465 times 23.  Pretty impressive work.

No comments: