Thursday, July 22, 2010

Toy Story 3

Alan decided he wanted to take Cooper and I to see Toy Story 3 in the theater.  Cooper has seen the first two Toy Story movies at home, but this was his very first movie in a theater!  And it was in 3-D even!!


Alan's a good date -- he sprung for the GIANT bucket of popcorn for the three of us to share and the REALLY BIG Diet Coke for me. 

The boys in their cool 3-D glasses -- they've come a long way since the cardboard blue/red glasses, don't you think?

Cooper did a great job in the theater.  We practiced whispering in the car on the way to the movie.  And we sat in a row with a walkway in front of us, so he could stand up and jig when he needed to.

I had heard that parts of the movie were a little scary.  Buzz, Woody, and the gang end up at a daycare where some of the daycare toys turn out to be thugs, and there's a prison-break-ish scene as Andy's toys try to escape.  Cooper didn't particularly care, I guess. Partly because I'm not sure he has enough background knowledge to be scared by the prison-like environment of the daycare.

But the one scene he has talked about since the movie is a scene at a landfill that involves, in Cooper's words, a "big booming fire."  We spent a lot of time on the drive home talking about why there was a fire at the landfill and who set the fire and whether our trash also goes to a fire.  Though nothing related to the plot of the movie and what might or might not have happened to toys.

There's also a scene where Andy has packed up his room to go to college, and his mom walks in and gets sad.  You may not be surprised to learn that I cried.  Shoulder-shaking sobs in the theater.  So we also had to talk with Coop about why Mama was so sad in the movie.

Man, I'm going to be a mess when he starts preschool this fall...

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alan and Coop look super-cool in their glasses! I remember those crappy cardboard ones from my childhood, when my mom and I went to the Godzilla film festival in Emporia.

Thanks for the warning about Toy Story 3. My threshold for tears at the theater has gone WAY down since the kid got here, so I know I'll be sobbing, too. (We were watching District 9 the other day and I started crying because I was terrified something was going to happen to the alien child. Nothing did, and I felt dumb, but there you have it. I'm broken.)