Monday, June 14, 2010

The Chicken Watch Continues

I've been taking lots of pictures of Red Chicken because (without sounding too dramatic), you just never know how long she's going to be with us.

As I mentioned, she was the only chick of the four that I could hold once they got big enough to run away from me:


One morning, I saw a pile of brown feathers and I was convinced she was a goner.  But then she came running for some treats.  Turns out whatever was chasing her got a mouthful of back end/tail feathers, but nothing else.
Whew.  Close call.


She's been spending some afternoons up on our deck railing.


Recognizing that she's likely in danger, I've been trying to shut her in the coop at night (which was my plan with all of the chickens until I got a little bit lazy).  But I haven't been able to find her in the evenings.  Finally one evening I saw her:
Can you see her?  She's the black shape slightly left of the tree trunk.  Crazy.  But at least she's safe up there, I guess.

As a side note, I think this is how I've been getting the recurring poison ivy rashes I've had the last couple of months.  Chicken runs everywhere, including in the poison ivy, and then I "cuddle" with her and pick up the plant oils.  Lovely.

No comments: