Thursday, November 28, 2019

Montgomery, AL

I planned a long weekend trip for myself.  First stop, Montgomery, AL.  I found a fun taproom for lunch.  This wall is like serve-yourself frozen yogurt, but for beer and wine!  Many bad choices have been made here, I'm sure:


And then I found the offices of Equal Justice Initiative, a group of lawyers who provide representation for prisoners who can't afford attorneys or who have been wrongfully convicted.  The founder of EJI is Bryan Stevenson, who wrote Just Mercy.


EJI also established the Legacy Museum, which documents the racial issues in slavery up through modern mass incarceration:

And I went to this memorial:

Which is a memorial to victims of lynchings:

This wall was really moving.  It's glass jars of dirt from each of the lynching sites the memorial features:


No comments: