Monday, August 22, 2011

Fuzzy the Stick Horse

Coop and I were in Dollar General a few weeks ago buying random supplies. He's had his eye on a stick horse there for quite some time. So we decided we would take it up to the front register and ask how much it costs.

[Rookie mistake. I should have found out what it cost first before we actually had it in our cart.]

Anyway, it was $8. I explained it's a bit more expensive than I was thinking, so we're not going to buy it today, but that we'll go home and make a plan about how he can earn/save money and come back to get it later. He cried for a while, which I expected. And we talked about how hard it is to have to wait to buy something you really want, but that we can use his sticker chart (which currently earns him books) to maybe earn the horse over the next week or so.  I got him calmed down, we gave the horse a hug, took him back to his box, and headed to the door.

We were half-way out the door when the woman who was paying for her items at the register yells out to us, "Ma'am he can buy the horse!" And I say "Oh, no thanks. We're ok. We'll come back and get in some other time." But she insists, "No really, he can buy it." And she digs money out of her purse. I keep saying no, and I'm frantically shaking my head at the cashier (a friend of mine) to see if she can help. But then the woman hands Cooper $8 and tells him to go get the horse. 
We did. And he was overjoyed. With honest-to-goodness tears of joy. It was sweet.
 
 
But so much for the lesson I was trying to teach. So now we're using the sticker chart to earn the $8 and then do something nice for someone else.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

How could she resist those tearful, wanting eyes? I can tell you that my mother-in-law is the queen of ruining those teaching moments...people on the east coast aren't as kind and generous in general to perform such random acts of kindness. btw = Coop - 1, Mommy - 0 on this one! (Been there a few times myself!)